Frequently Asked Questions
This system works best on a PC or a Mac using the CHROME or FIREFOX web browsers.
Please be sure you are using the LATEST VERSION of Chrome or Firefox.
People using Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge or Safari web browsers
have experienced problems! These web browsers are NOT compatible.
Folks using iPhone or iPads with older operating systems have also experienced problems.
please be sure you have the latest IOS available installed.
- What do I do if I forget my password?
There is a "Forgot Password" link just below the sign in area. Click on the link and password reset instructions will be emailed to the email address in your profile.
- My son (brother, father, mother, sister etc) wants to create a profile but we only have a single family email address - what do we do?
Each profile must have a unique email address
- A friend signed our foursome up but I am not receiving any email updates for tee times or other important updates.
The email address you would use to sign into your profile is an old email address. Log into your profile and change your email address to your new email address
- Now that I have a profile, how do I register for an event?
There are several ways to register for VGA events:
- From this page, click on "Schedules and Results" on the top menu bar. Be sure to select the "2019 Tournament Schedule & Results". You will see at a glance which events are open for registration, how many players are currently signed up and when registration closes. Click on "View" and this will bring you to the event portal for the tournament/event you wish to enter. Hover over the "Registration and Information" link on the top menu of that portal and select "Register for "XXXX" State Day/Tournament".
- From the VGA website, click on any one of the event registration links that can be found on the home page or Tournament Schedule.
- Click on any registration links found in upcoming e-Revisions, Facebook posts or other Socia Media feeds.
- Download the USGA TM app for your android or apple devices.
- Click on "Enter Tournament" on the home screen of the GHIN mobile app.
- Why do I need a GHIN card to play in events?
The VGA does not charge a "membership fee" to participate in any of our our tournaments. Anyone with an active handicap from a Vermont member club is automatically a member of the Vermont Golf Association. We feel it is only right and proper that the players in our events support our member clubs by maintaining an active handicap at any one of those clubs. State Days are open to non-Vermont residents as well, with the only requirement being that they show some support to their home state by having an active handicap at their home club.
- Why does my handicap have to be active?
The majority of our events are both gross and net events as well as flighted. The only way to ensure a fair playing field for everyone is to require all participants to have an active GHIN handicap.
- What if I cannot contact my club to activate my membership, like during winter months?
The VGA cannot activate your home club handicap. You can however join the Lakeside Colf Club, by clicking above.
- How long does it take to get an active handicap?
A player who is getting a GHIN handicap for the 1st time, will have to post a minimum of 5 scores before the GHIN system can generate a Handicap Index.
GHIN handicaps are updated two times each month - on the 1st and 15th. Players need to be aware of this when planning their tournament/State Day schedules. An inactive player who gets his handicap activated at his home club will NOT be active in the GHIN system until the next following handicap revision date - the 1st or 15th, whichever comes first.
Until 5 scores are posted and a revision has occurred, the player's index will show as NH (no handicap). You cannot sign up for events if your handicap is NH.
- What do I do if I have 2 GHIN numbers?
Per the USGA Handicap manual, players may only have one GHIN number. In the event you have more than one, please contact the VGA to let us know. We will merge those GHIN #'s into one handicap scoring record and the player will then have only one GHIN number. Until that happens, if the player wishes to play in any events, the player is required to use the GHIN number with the lowest handicap index. If one of the GHIN #'s belongs to a golf course outside of Vermont, the we will work with the other golf association to merge the two scoring records into one.
- How do I change my password or update my profile information?
Log into your profile and you can update any information that needs to be updated or corrected. At the bottom of that page you will see a spot to enter a new password and to confirm the new password. Just be sure to hit UPDATE before exiting the page.
- OK, I've created my profile, and I have registered for a couple of events. Can I add someone to my existing registration?
Yes! You can add up to a total of 3 additional members to your State Day (only) registration (total of 4 people in the group). Anyone that you add, must have a profile in the system and you will be required to pay for those individuals that you add. Log into your profile and navigate to the State Day in question and at the bottom of the registration page for that particular State Day you will see the option to "Edit Registration".
- My partner (or myself) is injured and cannot play in the event. Is there anyway to substitute someone else in?
Yes - the person who originally made the registration can log in and navigate to the event in question. Click on "register" or "view" and at the bottom of the page, you will see an option to "Edit Registration". Find the player who is going to be taken out of the tournament and follow the prompts - you will be given an option to substiture in another player. This action can only be performed if the registration process for the event is open. If it is closed, please call the VGA office to make changes to your group including cancellations